Skip to main content

Craps update. That'll learn ya.

Well, it had to happen sooner or later. I finally lost at a craps session. 

For those of you just joining in,I started playing craps again after about a 20-year layoff.  I either broke even or won the first five sessions that I played. I won as much as $150, and as little as $20, plus the one time I left the table dead even, for a total  win of about $270.  So when I lost 50 bucks on Monday, it didn't really hurt very much.

I basically just played the way I described in a previous blog post. Pass line bet with full odds, then place the 6 and the 8. Then make a come bet and take full odds on it. Stay away from the props and the field. It's not rocket science, it's just making bets on numbers that have a good chance of coming in and don't have a massive house advantage against you.

I lost because four shooters in a row, including myself, all sevened out Within just a couple of rolls of establishing their first point. Nobody at the table wins any money doing that, unless you're a "don't" better. That's someone who bets on the don't pass and the don't come. They make their money when the player fails to hit their number after establishing point, but instead rolls a seven.

It's not a bad way to play, mathematically it's just as valid of a way to play as betting on the pass line. But most craps players don't play that way, and the don't better is usually disliked by the other players at the table, for superstition reasons. The mathematical problem is that it's a little more expensive to play as a don't better because you have to put up more money when you take the odds.

For example, say you place $20 on the don't pass line. The point is established as a 4. if you took single odds on that, you would Place $20 behind the four. if the shooter sevens out you would win your $20 flat bat and then only $10 for your $20 in odds.

You would have been better off just making a $40 flat bet to begin with. So most "don't" betters don't even take odds. If they did, they would be spending more to win less, then players who bet the "right" way.  Plus, on the occasion that a player gets on some kind of a monster oll, say rolling 20 or 30 rolls before sevening out, the don't better ends up losing all his money while everyone else table makes a ton.

Anyway that's enough about "Don't" betters.  All you really need to know is you don't want to be one. I'll see you next time, good luck everybody.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's the surveillance room like? Repost

This is a repost of a post I made about a year ago, but I feel like it bares s repeating. Enjoy. I got another good question last week, from a reader wanting to know what a surveillance room is like, how it is laid out and how it is staffed and run.  So here goes. I have worked in surveillance departments at six different casinos in the last 25 years. Some very small (300 slots, 6 blackjack tables) and some very big (3000 slots, 60-70 table games of all kinds). When I started in the early 90's it was all VCRs and not all cameras were recorded all the time. We used a lot of "multi-plexers" and "quad screens". A multi-plexer used one VCR to display and record up to 16 screens on one monitor. Since the VCR still records at 30 frames per second, that meant that if you did a review on any one of those 16 screens you would be looking at a "freeze frame" effect, where you only got 1.8 frames per second of the shot you were looking at. A quad would record ...

Hit and run gambling

This post is sponsored by Amazon Prime .  You can get a free 30 day trial of  by clicking  here .  And don't forget about my article, called " Sports Betting: Advanced middle techniques for college and pro football wagering ." It's all about a way to bet on sports with very little risk but high potential rewards. Click  here  to go to the eBay listing. It's only $4.99 plus fifty cents shipping.  Now on to this weeks topic.  I'm sure some of you invest in the stock market. Almost every one has a 401k if their employer offers it. Some off you  might even invest in individual stocks or a mutual fund in a private brokerage account.  So let me ask you what you would do if you got a hot tip from a friend about a tech stock, a "highly volatile" tech stock, that was poised to go through the roof. Maybe they're about to release a new app, and there are rumors that Google is going to buy them out. Maybe you've squirreled away some "mad money...

New job, new Blackjack observations

OK, so i havent been blogging as much for the last month or so. Here’s why.  I am back to dealing blackjack and it is taking up a lot of my time. I got a new job at a small, northern Nevada casino (you could track me down without too much trouble, but i am not going to just come out an tell you which one) as a dual rate Manager on Duty and Dealer. Having not dealt cards for over three decades, I have had to do some on the job training to get back in shape.  It’s not quite like riding a bike, in that you never forget how to do it, but it is close. Having spent many of those years in surveillance I still have the mental chops to do it, but the muscle memory is long gone. Throw in some arthritis in my knees (plus chronic leukemia) and standing at a table for 40-60 minutes at a time has been a challenge also.  But enough about my troubles, what I really want to talk about is the “typical” blackjack player that I have been running in to. If I were going to describe them in jus...