Skip to main content

Craps.

I played craps this week for the first time in probably 20 years. I left Reno in late 1997 to work for a tribal casino, then another casino, in the Pacific Northwest. Once I was working for the tribes, I felt like it was improper for me to gamble at those facilities, even the ones I wasn't working at. Not all of them offered craps anyways, so I just didn't play.

So earlier this week, I found myself in the Cal Neva Casino in downtown Reno, with an extra hundred bucks in my pocket and an empty craps table staring me in the face. It worked out pretty good too, with me playing for about half an hour and walking away dead even.

Having been bitten by the bug, I returned to the Cal Neva a couple days later and this time left about a hundred fifty ahead. So, let me tell you how I play craps.

Rule number one: stay away from the goddamn proposition bets, including the field bet. Rule number two: reread rule number one. Hard ways, horn bets, C & E, they all have terrible payoffs in relation to their actual chances of being hit. Even the field bet is a loser in the long run. Be smart, don't waste your money.

I always make a bet on the pass line at the table minimum. Then I take the maximum amount of odds you can once the point is established. (If you don't know, ask the dealer and he'll tell you.) The pass line bet gets paid at even money when you win, but the odds bets are paid off at what are called "true odds". On the 6 and 8 you get paid true odds of 6 to 5. On the 5 and 9 its 3 to 2 and on the 4 and 10 its 2 to 1. The great thing about odds bets is that there is no house advantage. You're actually getting paid the true odds on hitting that number versus rolling 7.

Next I make place bets on the 6 and the 8. You have to bet them in multiples of 6, since they pay off $7 for every $6 that you've bet. If the point is 6 or 8, then I don't put a place bet on that number.

So, after the point is established and the 6 & 8 placed, I usually just make just one more bet, a come bet, which works just like a line bet.  The bet gets paid off at even money, but you get to take odds on it, which, just like a line bet, get paid off at the true odds for that number.

That's basically it.  Stay away from the props, and pray that the shooter doesn't seven out within one or two rolls of setting his point, and you'll be making profits in no time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's the surveillance room like? Repost

This is a repost of a post I made about a year ago, but I feel like it bares s repeating. Enjoy. I got another good question last week, from a reader wanting to know what a surveillance room is like, how it is laid out and how it is staffed and run.  So here goes. I have worked in surveillance departments at six different casinos in the last 25 years. Some very small (300 slots, 6 blackjack tables) and some very big (3000 slots, 60-70 table games of all kinds). When I started in the early 90's it was all VCRs and not all cameras were recorded all the time. We used a lot of "multi-plexers" and "quad screens". A multi-plexer used one VCR to display and record up to 16 screens on one monitor. Since the VCR still records at 30 frames per second, that meant that if you did a review on any one of those 16 screens you would be looking at a "freeze frame" effect, where you only got 1.8 frames per second of the shot you were looking at. A quad would record ...

Hit and run gambling

This post is sponsored by Amazon Prime .  You can get a free 30 day trial of  by clicking  here .  And don't forget about my article, called " Sports Betting: Advanced middle techniques for college and pro football wagering ." It's all about a way to bet on sports with very little risk but high potential rewards. Click  here  to go to the eBay listing. It's only $4.99 plus fifty cents shipping.  Now on to this weeks topic.  I'm sure some of you invest in the stock market. Almost every one has a 401k if their employer offers it. Some off you  might even invest in individual stocks or a mutual fund in a private brokerage account.  So let me ask you what you would do if you got a hot tip from a friend about a tech stock, a "highly volatile" tech stock, that was poised to go through the roof. Maybe they're about to release a new app, and there are rumors that Google is going to buy them out. Maybe you've squirreled away some "mad money...

New job, new Blackjack observations

OK, so i havent been blogging as much for the last month or so. Here’s why.  I am back to dealing blackjack and it is taking up a lot of my time. I got a new job at a small, northern Nevada casino (you could track me down without too much trouble, but i am not going to just come out an tell you which one) as a dual rate Manager on Duty and Dealer. Having not dealt cards for over three decades, I have had to do some on the job training to get back in shape.  It’s not quite like riding a bike, in that you never forget how to do it, but it is close. Having spent many of those years in surveillance I still have the mental chops to do it, but the muscle memory is long gone. Throw in some arthritis in my knees (plus chronic leukemia) and standing at a table for 40-60 minutes at a time has been a challenge also.  But enough about my troubles, what I really want to talk about is the “typical” blackjack player that I have been running in to. If I were going to describe them in jus...