Skip to main content

A strange theory, myth busted.

I keep coming across this while doing research online for blog post subjects and I wanted to comment on it.

The myth is that casinos pump oxygen into the gaming floor area to keep people awake, and stimulated, and to continue gambling. I don't know where this idea came from, but it's easily debunked by anyone who is ever been in the back of house area of a large casino.

I've worked at multiple casinos as an observer, manager and technician. I have had unfettered access to the back of house areas of at least a dozen different casinos both in Nevada, and in other jurisdictions. I've also spent many days on rooftops, installing cameras near HVAC equipment. I am yet to ever see a large group of oxygen tanks hooked up to any of that.

If you think about it, oxygen is a highly flammable gas, and casinos are some of the few remaining public areas that allow people to light up a cigarette. Not a good mix. I can assure you this is a total muyh.

This is not to say the casinos don't use some tricks (they're actually design elements) to make customers less aware of the passage of time. Things like, no windows so you can't look outside to see if it's day or night, and no clocks visible to the customer from the casino floor. But that's it, no oxygen tanks anywhere in sight. Unless they're being used by the 80 year old retirees playing the slots

That's all for now, I've said my peace and done my myth-busting for the day.

Click here to visit my Patreon page. If you enjoy my content, please consider becoming a patron. I make no income from this blog, as Blogger does not run ads on my blog because of the adult content. I would like to upgrade to video blogs and audio podcasts and even get my live radio show back on the air, but all that requires moolah, which is why I've started a patreon page. You can also follow me on Twitter, where my handle is @casinologger

Thanks and good luck everybody.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's the surveillance room like? Repost

This is a repost of a post I made about a year ago, but I feel like it bares s repeating. Enjoy. I got another good question last week, from a reader wanting to know what a surveillance room is like, how it is laid out and how it is staffed and run.  So here goes. I have worked in surveillance departments at six different casinos in the last 25 years. Some very small (300 slots, 6 blackjack tables) and some very big (3000 slots, 60-70 table games of all kinds). When I started in the early 90's it was all VCRs and not all cameras were recorded all the time. We used a lot of "multi-plexers" and "quad screens". A multi-plexer used one VCR to display and record up to 16 screens on one monitor. Since the VCR still records at 30 frames per second, that meant that if you did a review on any one of those 16 screens you would be looking at a "freeze frame" effect, where you only got 1.8 frames per second of the shot you were looking at. A quad would record ...

Hit and run gambling

This post is sponsored by Amazon Prime .  You can get a free 30 day trial of  by clicking  here .  And don't forget about my article, called " Sports Betting: Advanced middle techniques for college and pro football wagering ." It's all about a way to bet on sports with very little risk but high potential rewards. Click  here  to go to the eBay listing. It's only $4.99 plus fifty cents shipping.  Now on to this weeks topic.  I'm sure some of you invest in the stock market. Almost every one has a 401k if their employer offers it. Some off you  might even invest in individual stocks or a mutual fund in a private brokerage account.  So let me ask you what you would do if you got a hot tip from a friend about a tech stock, a "highly volatile" tech stock, that was poised to go through the roof. Maybe they're about to release a new app, and there are rumors that Google is going to buy them out. Maybe you've squirreled away some "mad money...

New job, new Blackjack observations

OK, so i havent been blogging as much for the last month or so. Here’s why.  I am back to dealing blackjack and it is taking up a lot of my time. I got a new job at a small, northern Nevada casino (you could track me down without too much trouble, but i am not going to just come out an tell you which one) as a dual rate Manager on Duty and Dealer. Having not dealt cards for over three decades, I have had to do some on the job training to get back in shape.  It’s not quite like riding a bike, in that you never forget how to do it, but it is close. Having spent many of those years in surveillance I still have the mental chops to do it, but the muscle memory is long gone. Throw in some arthritis in my knees (plus chronic leukemia) and standing at a table for 40-60 minutes at a time has been a challenge also.  But enough about my troubles, what I really want to talk about is the “typical” blackjack player that I have been running in to. If I were going to describe them in jus...